Semifinal Loss for Men’s Hoops

Semifinal Loss for Men’s Hoops

SCRANTON, Pa. – The Susquehanna men's basketball team, making its second-straight Landmark Conference Tournament appearance, could not get past Scranton, falling 67-53 to the No. 2 seed.

The Crusaders finished the season with 19 victories, the most wins since the 1993-94 team posted the same 19-7 mark and advanced to the NCAA Division III Tournament.

Josh Miller (Strasburg, Pa./Lampeter Strasburg) led the way for SU (19-7) with 13 points, nine of which came from beyond the arc. Steven Weidlich (Watchung, N.J./Watchung Hills) added 12 for a Crusader team that shot 33 percent for the game.

The game started out 6-0 in favor of the Crusaders before Scranton countered with eight unanswered points to take an 8-6 lead after just over five minutes of action. A three-point play by Brian Farrell inside the 13-minute mark gave Scranton a 13-9 lead.

Miller drained back-to-back threes to hand SU a 17-15 lead and force Scranton to call a timeout with just under 10 minutes to play in the half.

It remained a 17-15 game until Jason Dietrich's (Maytown, Pa./Kutztown University) three made it 20-15 with roughly 7:30 remaining. Scranton (21-5) went up 26-24, though, on a Marcus Thomas three-pointer at the 3:30 mark of the half.

With one minute remaining in the period, the Royals held a 28-24 advantage and scored four points over the final 60 seconds to go into halftime with a 32-24 lead.

Scranton came out of the locker room and scored the first five points of the half to make it a 37-24 ballgame. After four minutes of action, Susquehanna was facing a 39-28 deficit after two Weidlich free throws.

Brandon Hedley's (Silver Spring, Md./Salisbury Prep) layup with just over 14 on the clock cut the lead to single digits, 41-32, but just two minutes later, the Royals had regained a double-digit lead (45-32). A Justin Klingman trey with just under 11 minutes remaining put Scranton ahead 50-34.

Weidlich's three with 5:10 to play made it 63-43 and at the three-minute mark, SU trailed 64-48. With just one minute to play, the Royals maintained a 16-point advantage (67-51), leaving no time for a Crusader comeback.