Men's Basketball Overturns Halftime Deficit to Defeat Lycoming

Men's Basketball Overturns Halftime Deficit to Defeat Lycoming

SELINSGROVE, Pa. – Junior center Ryan Traub hit a go-ahead 3-pointer with 25 seconds to go for the eighth and final lead change as the No. 25 Susquehanna University men's basketball team rallied back from a 19-point first half deficit to hand the Lycoming College Warriors its first loss of the year with the River Hawks 75-74 win Tuesday night at O.W. Houts Gymnasium.


Traub scored a game-high 20 points, including 14 in the second half with six points coming in the final 1:36. He also grabbed a game-high 13 rebounds while shooting 8-of-10 from the field including hitting two out of three shots from behind the arc.


Susquehanna (3-1) fell behind by as much as 19 points in the first half as an undersized yet quick Lycoming (3-1) squad forced 11 first-half turnovers, including seven steals that led to 11 points. The Warriors took a 12-point lead into the half as the River Hawks closed the half on a 14-7 run.


That run pushed into the second half as Susquehanna started the half on a 17-6 run that made it 49-48 on a Steve Weidlich 3-pointer. Lycoming countered with a quick 6-0 run but back-to-back 3's from Weidlich and Seth Callahan made it 55-54. Susquehanna gained its first lead of the game with 8:52 remaining when Weidlich took a long Lycoming missed 3-pointer for an uncontested layup to make it 56-55 in favor of the River Hawks. But Lycoming again countered with a 14-8 run over the next 4:30 as the Warriors held a five-point lead with 3:36 to go and another five-point lead with 1:55 to go. Traub hit a 3-pointer with 1:36 remaining to make it 71-69 and after a missed Lycoming layup; Zach Knecht hit a go-ahead 3 with 1:05 remaining to make it 72-71 in favor of Susquehanna. Lycoming answered with a 3 from T.J. Duckett with 37 seconds remaining to put the Warriors up by two. But 12 seconds later, Traub answered with the eventual game-winner.


Lycoming had a chances to retake the lead as off a Duckett missed 3-pointer, Chris Wallace looked to have a putback layup with 17 seconds remaining but he was called for a turnover as he was out of bounds and did not establish himself back in bounds. After a missed Susquehanna free throw, Wallace missed an open 3 in the corner with five seconds remaining.  Susquehanna was then fouled and missed the free throw with one second remaining but Traub pulled down his 13th rebound to clinch the win.


After struggling from the field in the first half, as it shot 36-percent, Susquehanna came out in the second half and shot 59-percent while also hitting 8-of-15 3-pointers.


Weidlich added 17 points and four rebounds while playing all 40 minutes. Senior Jason Dietrich added 10 points while sophomore Tyler Hoagland dished out eight assists. Freshmen Zach Knecht (13 points, five rebounds, four blocks) and Seth Callahan (11 points) accounted for all 24 bench points for Susquehanna.


Susquehanna is off for Thanksgiving, as it will get back on the court on Sunday, November 27 at 2 p.m. as it heads to Penn State-Harrisburg for a non-conference game.