Strong Second Half Guides Men’s Lacrosse to Win

Strong Second Half Guides Men’s Lacrosse to Win

SELINSGROVE, Pa. – Seven second-half goals helped lead the Susquehanna men's lacrosse team to a 9-4 win over visiting Merchant Marine Academy on Saturday afternoon.

The teams were tied at two early in the third quarter before the Crusaders (8-2, 2-1) scored seven goals over 28 minutes, including four-straight goals to end the game.

Freshman Alec Tzaneteas (Mahwah, N.J./Mahwah) had a hat trick in his first career start for a team that more than doubled-up Merchant Marine (4-3, 1-2) in shots, 36-17.

SU also had just 12 turnovers while forcing 18 by the Mariners. Defenseman Kade MacGregor (Centreville, Md./Queen Anne's County) had a dominant performance with five ground balls and three caused turnovers while also adding a goal and an assist.

Less than five minutes into the game, USMMA's Troy Smith scored an unassisted goal for the early 1-0 lead. It stood 1-0 for nearly seven minutes until Adam Fox (Brookfield, Conn./Brookfield) scored the equalizer with 3:43 remaining in the quarter and it remained 1-1 at the end of the quarter.

SU's Phil Lapone (Essex Fells, N.J./West Essex) scored the only goal of the second quarter – an unassisted goal with 5:43 to play – and the Crusaders went into halftime with a 2-1 advantage.

The Mariners' Geoff Harty tied the game just 60 seconds in the third quarter but 15 seconds later, Tzaneteas scored his first goal of the game to put SU ahead 3-2. Three minutes later, Tzaneteas struck again for a two-goal cushion (4-2).

The teams each netted goals before the end of the quarter to keep Susquehanna head by two (5-3).

USMMA's Nick Treon scored one minute into the final quarter to pull his team back within one, 5-4, but from that point on it was all SU. Gregg Budd (Kinnelon, N.J./Kinnelon) scored his first of two goals at the 12-minute mark in what was the start of a 4-0 Crusader run. Tzaneteas scored again with six minutes remaining to make it 7-4 before Budd and MacGregor capped off the scoring with two goals in the final 40 seconds to make it 9-4.

Susquehanna returns to action on March 31 with a 4 p.m. game at Marywood.