Overtime Setback for SU Men’s Lacrosse

Overtime Setback for SU Men’s Lacrosse

SCRANTON, Pa. – For the second straight year, the Susquehanna and Marywood men's lacrosse teams went to overtime and in a repeat of the 2014 matchup, the Crusaders fell 9-8 to the Pacers, this time in double overtime.

SU (8-3) led 8-6 heading into the final quarter of play during which the Pacers (6-3) scored the game-tying goals to force overtime.

Neither team scored in the first overtime period, sending the game into a second overtime where Marywood's Brandon Terlizzi netted the game-winning score.

Chet McLaughlin (Chatham, N.J./Chatham) finished with a game-high four goals, the only Crusader with multiple goals in the contest. Phil Lapone (Essex Fells, N.J./West Essex) added two assists while Carmen Raroha (Voorhees, N.J./Bishop Eustace) had one goal and one assist.

Each team won 10 face-offs and had 42 ground balls. SU was 2-for-5 in man-up opportunities and out-shot Marywood 38-30. Susquehanna goalie Jared Knowlton (North Salem, N.Y./Bishop Eustace) had 11 saves in his nearly 70 minutes of work.

Each team netted a goal in the opening two-plus minutes of the game before Marywood went ahead 2-1 with a goal at the 11:15 mark. SU countered with two unanswered goals to close out the first with a 3-2 advantage.

Unfortunately, the Pacers scored the only three goals of the second quarter to erase the deficit and go up 5-3 at halftime.

Just five minutes into the third quarter, though, SU had not only erased its deficit but taken the lead. McLaughlin scored his third and fourth goals of the game with the latter knotting the game at five. At the 10:04 mark, Jake Calder (Lutherville, Md./Dulaney) put the Crusaders ahead 6-5 with an unassisted goal.

Marywood's Sam Trill made it a 6-6 game with his goal just inside the eight minute mark but less than a minute later, Raroha's score put Susquehanna back in the lead (7-6). With less than three minutes remaining in the quarter, Nick Reardon (West Deptford, N.J./West Deptford) netted a man-up goal for a two-goal SU edge and it remained 8-6 as the third quarter came to a close.

In the final quarter of regulation, the Pacers made it 8-7 with seven minutes to play and then with 2:17 on the clock, Terlizzi scored the tying goal, ultimately sending the game to overtime.

The first overtime period passed without a goal until with just 11 seconds left in the second overtime period, Terlizzi scored the game winner for a 9-8 final.

The Crusaders remain on the road to face Goucher on Friday, April 3 at 4 p.m.